Main Street Publishing Pty Ltd does not sell copies of its mailing lists.
For organisations seeking to directly correspond with dental professionals, we offer a choice of:
- Rental of our mailing list in compliance with industry standard practices for use by your mailing house; or
- Complete mailing house fulfilment services utilising our mailing list to deliver your message.
Using your own mailing house
In line with industry standard practices, we can supply a mailing list to an approved third party mailing house of your choice for fulfilment of your direct mail requirements. As part of this process, the mailing house enters into a contract of usage with Main Street Publishing Pty Ltd which governs the use of the list. List rental is always for one time usage only and the contract specifies that the list must subsequently be destroyed.
Using our direct mail fulfilment services
If you do not have a relationship with a mailing house, we can also fulfill your direct mail requirements with a combination of competitively priced in-house and third party mailing services utilising our mailing list. We also offer Creative Services and Graphic Design & Printing if needed to deliver a complete turnkey solution for your exact requirements.
Tailoring a list to your requirements
Apart from blanket coverage of the Australian and New Zealand markets, mailing lists can be tailored to your specific requirements. This both saves on costs and reduces wastage and also reduces the amount of communication practitioners receive. Examples of tailoring lists include:
- If you have a catalogue to distribute, we can tailor a list so that only one copy is sent to every practice, rather than every practitioner. This saves printing and postage costs and is also better for the environment as most practices only require one copy.
- If you are selling your dental practice, we can tailor a list so that you can communicate with other practices in your area who may be interested in buying your practice.
- If you are planning a dental event for certain specialist practitioners, e.g. Orthodontists, then we can tailor a list to communicate directly with members of that specialty.
We maintain a comprehensive database across Australia and New Zealand of general dentists, specialists, dental hygienists, dental therapists, oral health therapists, dental technicians, dental prosthetists (Australia), clinical dental technicians (New Zealand) and dental industry personnel.
This database is derived from our find-a-dentist services - www.dentist.com.au and www.dentist.co.nz - as well as the mailing list for Australasian Dental Practice, Auxiliary and eLABORATE magazines. It is continually mailed to and constantly updated.
Renting a list
The rental process involves the following steps:
- Establish an account with Main Street Publishing Pty Ltd if you are a new customer.
- Complete our mailing list rental agreement. This agreement requires you to supply the following information:
- The purpose you will use the list for.
- A sample of all the material that will be included in the correspondence sent to the list. We reserve the right to reject rentals if we deem the material to be in any way inappropriate at our discretion.
- Details of the approved third party mailing house that will fulfil your direct mail campaign. NOTE: If you do not have an approved third party mailing house, Main Street Publishing Pty Ltd can organise your direct mail using in-house and third party resources.
- Details of the type of mailing list that you require. Lists can be tailored to offer very niche campaigns to target certain types of practitioners in a very narrow geographic area as well as full coverage of Australia and New Zealand.
- If you are using your own mailing house:
- They will then be contacted and supplied with a copy of our Contract of Usage which must be agreed to, executed and returned.
- Once the Contract of Usage has been returned, a copy of the list ordered will then be supplied to your mailing house.
- All rentals of our list are for one time usage only.
- Amongst other conditions, copies of any correspondence sent utilising our mailing lists that is returned as undeliverable must be supplied to Main Street Publishing Pty Ltd for investigation.
- No credits are provided for mail that is returned as undeliverable.
- If we are completing the mailing on your behalf, we will contact you to be briefed on your specific requirements, instructions and deadlines.
- We will then supply a written quote that can include:
- Help with creating your direct mail communication if required (also see the preparation checklist on the right).
- Help with preparing and printing your direct mail communication if required including:
- Generating personally addressed mail merge letters.
- Printing brochures, letterheads and other materials.
- Printing of envelopes.
- Production of any other requirements such as CD/DVDs, fridge magnets, etc.
- Preparation, assembly and packaging of your direct mail communication.
- Mailing list rental.
- Barcoding, presorting and postal lodgement; and
- An estimate of the costs of postage.
- If we are not printing/producing the material for your direct mail campaign, we will arrange for its collection ready for preparation and lodgement.
- PLEASE NOTE: Charges for postage are passed on at cost and we require payment within 7 days of invoicing. Payment of postage by credit card will attract a surcharge. Payment for other services are required within our normal terms and if paid with a credit card, do not attract a surcharge.
For more information on utilising our mailing list rental service, please email
NOTE: As a cost-effective alternative, it may be possible to insert your communication into one of our dental publications. More information is available on this option by clicking here.
Keeping the cost downs
Postage is typically the largest single cost of any direct mail campaign. The Post Office charges for direct mail items based on a number of factors including weight, size, content, frequency and address formatting. It is prudent to consider these factors at an early stage when planning your direct mail campaign as minor changes to your concept that will have a negligible impact on the effectiveness of your campaign can significantly reduce postage costs. Here are some tips:
- Discount postage rates - The Post Office offers a variety of discounted rates for large quantities of mail. To take advantage of these rates, you will need to comply with various requirements that help the post office process and delivery your mail more efficiently. The amount of discount offered directly relates to how many of these requirements you comply with. These requirements specify the size and weight of the item; how the item is addressed which may include barcoding together with the inclusion of a return address; and finally, the mail must be presorted based on where it will be delivered. It is prudent to investigate all the discount postage options in advance to see which level of compliance you can achieve and the resultant discounted postage rate that will apply.
- Weight - The weight of the item you will direct mail directly affects the cost of the postage. Australia Post, for example, typically uses weight ranges of 0-125 grams; 126-250 grams; and 250-500 grams for what it terms letters. The heavier the item, the greater the cost. Items over 500 grams and/or 20mm thick are categorised as parcels and prices increase again. If you are preparing a catalogue, for example, ensuring it will be under 500 grams and less than 20mm thick will allow it to be mailed as a "letter". In the planning stages therefore, it is prudent to determine the weight range that the finished product will fall into so that adjustments can be considered if the weight range is close to crossing from one tier to the next. Your graphic designer should request the printer to supply a mock-up of the catalogue you are considering using the paper stock it will be printed on. This is a common request. This mock-up can then be weighed and if required, options considered to reduce the weight, which include reducing:
- the number of pages;
- the physical dimensions; and/or
- the weight of the paper stock.
- Addressing - To obtain discounted postage rates, the delivery address must be correctly formatted and guidelines are available for this. The Mailing Lists we rent are formatted to facilitate this. Your mailing house should also be able to barcode the address to attract greater discounts. The item must also have your return address on it.
Guidelines, specifications and more information is available from Australia Post or NZ Post.